How well do you know the Mashreq? It is a video on diversity in the Mashreq region of West Asia and North Africa. The short video is produced by Mashreq Politics & Culture Journal (MPC Journal).
How Well Do You Know The Mashreq?
- Mashreq: is an Arabic word means “the place of the sunrise”, “Orient” or the “East”
- As of 2016, it is home for 3% of the global population (≈350 million) living in 17 countries with many different religions and a variety of ethnic and linguistic groups. These countries are:
Lebanon, Syria, Israel/Palestine, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman and Yemen. In the larger sense, it also includes Turkey Iran and Egypt.
- There are over 50 languages in the Mashreq. Most spoken languages are Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Hebrew, Kurdish, Armenian and Aramaic.
- The mashreq is the cradle of earliest ancient human civilisations such as Sumer, Akkad, Assyria, Babylonia, Palmyra, Ebla, Ugarit, Canaan, Aramea, Phoenicia, Hittite, Sassanid, Israel and ancient Egypt.
- Today there are around 30 ethnic groups: Arabs, Persians, Turks, Kurds, Amazigh, Copts, Druze, Jews, Arameans, Armenians, Assyrians, Balochs, Greeks, Mandeans, Samaritans, Shabaks and Yazidis etc.
- there are over 17 religions practised in the Mashreq region today such as Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity, Islam, Druze, Yazidism, Mandaeism, Yarsanism, Shabakism, Baha’i Faith and Ishikism.
- The Ottoman Empire occupied the Mashreq region for approximately 400 years until 1916, when European powers, namely France and Great Britain, divided the region into colonies according to Sykes-Picot treaty.
- It shouldn’t be surprising to find a multitude of different cultures coexisting in the Mashreq.
Did you know the Mashreq is that diverse?
SHARE THE VIDEO….
سياسات وثقافة المشرق في غرب آسيا وشمال إفريقيا وعلاقات المغرب والمشرق
Latest posts by MPC Journal (see all)
- Egypt’s Authoritarian Presidential Elections - February 5, 2018
- Moroccan Women Are Sexually Harassing Men but Why? - January 24, 2018
- Tunisia Ends Forced Anal Examinations on People Suspected of Being Gay - September 28, 2017
All rights reserved.
Music by Alp Yenier/”Waiting Immigrant” by Reg Project Manuscript by Hakim Khatib Design by Ivan E. Rosado Publisher: Mashreq Politics & Culture Journal (MPC Journal)